Friday, April 10, 2009

Pisa Pisa Pizza Mia

Today I woke up feeling kind of lonely, so I decided to text a friend and see if she wanted to go to Boboli Gardens with me, considering they're just across the Arano River and I haven't been there yet. She called me back to say that she was up at the station getting ready to catch a train to Pisa, and asked me if I wanted to come along. These were my options:

1) Stay in Florence, walk the gardens alone and do work until the sun goes down
2) Live it up, go to Pisa and see the leaning tower, eat pizza and have fun with a friend.

I chose number 2.

It was only an hour by train, and the second we got there we made two new friends outside the Pisa station as we all eyed the cartoonish map. Alex is a communications and entertainment major at a university in Georgia, and she was touring Italy with her video camera taking shots and films for her mother who, because of her job, was unable to come at the last moment. I can't believe Alex was traveling alone, but she seemed happy and fine and had a lot on her agenda. Our other friend was Dany from Madrid, a twenty seven year old engineer for a construction company who has a two week vacation that doesn't coincide with any of his family's or friend's. He was also traveling alone for the first time, and we spoke in English and Spanish which was suuuuper fun for me because after all this Italian, I've even forgotten how to say "Eat" in Spanish!!! "EAT!!" COME ON!!! The basics are slipping from me and that scares me considering I'm signed up for two of the top level Spanish courses for the fall semester...oh shit.

Anyway, the leaning tower was really cool, and yet much shorter than I anticipated. We took turns poising each other's cameras at cheesy "look at me holding up the tower" shots, and walked around the church for a bit. It was really nice to spend time with new friends, especially because we talked as casually as old friends who were actually intending to meet up at that map, and see the tower, and have a meal together. Never before has it felt so natural spending an afternoon with strangers. Mama mia look at the time... gotta write a paper. Ciao bellisime. XOXO

P.S. I'm hiking up to the church San Miniato tomorrow with a friend to see the sunrise. I'm so tired but I always say yes! aaaah

No comments:

Post a Comment